Come back to general practice
Why the Induction & Refresher scheme?
The GP Induction and Refresher (I&R) Scheme provides a safe, supported and direct route for qualified GPs to join or return to NHS general practice in England.
It’s tailored to meet your needs, experience and personal commitments to make things simpler for you. This includes financial and practical support, and access to a dedicated account manager to guide you through the process.
If you are working or living overseas, you can even start the scheme before you move back to England.
What's on offer?
There is a range of support on offer for GPs on the scheme. Depending on which route you are eligible for and your personal circumstances, you may receive:
- a placement bursary of up to £3,500 a month
- help towards indemnity costs and other fees
- a dedicated account manager
- a tailored programme to meet learning needs, experiences and personal commitments
- access to training and development support
- no fees for I&R assessments or the Portfolio Route
- up to four fully funded attempts at the I&R assessments
- relocation support for GPs relocating from overseas up to £18,500
- help with visa costs and sponsorship for non-EEA clinicians
- options to complete most parts of the scheme before moving back to England, if you are living overseas.
Have you worked overseas as a GP for less than 10 years?
UK-qualified GPs who have been working overseas as a GP for less than 10 years may be eligible for the Portfolio Route, with the option of no assessments and just a short one month refresher placement on their return.
I’m absolutely delighted by what I have achieved. It’s obviously the right thing for me at my stage in life. If you had asked me two years ago, I would not have been able to imagine how I would have been able to make this choice.